I did a research on open pedagogies and it made me interested in how different approaches to learning environments could influence the learning experience for students. In addition, as I checked posts from my classmates, I realized that most of my classmates were not particularly interested in open pedagogies because all the other posts were on other approaches, such as direct instructions or cooperative learning. Still, their research was intriguing and I found a whole wealth of knowledge in their posts.

I took interest in the direct instructions method written by Loritech:

The post by Loritech offers a very succinct explanation on the direct instruction method. It starts by giving a historical overview of the learning approach. The learning style was started by Professor Siegfired Zig Engleman and his colleagues in 1964. Students attend classes and are taught by teachers.  Loritech says that they plan to use the direct instructions method in their project by adjusting it to the Korean culture.

I believe that this is the approach that students are most familiar with because it involves the classroom learning environment. Nonetheless, the learning approach is being overtaken by events. Other learning approaches are being used especially after the spread of COVID-19 and the subsequent closure of schools.

Another learning approach that I took interest in was the Inquiry-based based learning by Yuqixie:

Yuqixie’s post starts by showing what the inquiry-based learning style is all about. It is vital to note that inquiry-based learning approach intends to include the students in the creation of learning content. The teacher acts as a guide to the students in exploring new ideas and directing their curiosity. The students then ask questions on the topics being taught. The process then allows the student to think critically, have a deeper understanding, and increase student participation.

I agree that inquiry based learning could be vital to the learning process. However, it should not be used exclusively. It could be incorporated or used together with other learning approaches.